Thursday, July 25, 2013

A 10GHz receiver using an LNBF and an RTLSDR - 10GHz RX for £20 or less?

Laurent F6FVY tweeted the other day a very interesting link, showing that people had used a LNBF designed for broadcast satellite reception and an RTLSDR dongle for 10GHz reception.

There are two good videos and I particularly liked the one from EA5KGD showing his reception of EB5EA's 10GHz signals using the LNBF and the RTLSDR as an IF on around 618MHz.


So, I've ordered a suitable LNBF from the USA, which came in at just over £14 including shipping. If I can get a 10GHz receiver going for just under £20, I'll be happy!

The only puzzle I have at the moment, which I am sure is easily solved, is that the LNBF requires its power to be fed up the coax. I am not sure what arrangement to use for this in conjunction with the RTLSDR. If anyone has seen anything suitable written up, I'd be very grateful! It looks like I need to find a way of feeding the 12V up the coax...

This looks like it would be fun to get going. There's a 10GHz beacon on Cleeve Hill about 40 miles from here. I wonder if I could receive it and potentially look for rainscatter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tim

This idea looks like an interesting and importantly a cheap way to start on 10Ghz. I rather wonder what other new ways of using the USB tuners people are going to come up with next.

Regarding the bias Tee g4bao has a suitable circuit

http://www.johng4bao.webspace.virginmedia.com/Files/wideband_preamplifier_and_bias_tee.pdf

that might be suitable.

Regards

Kevin G6UCY

G0MJW said...

A T-piece will do as the LNB has so much gain, but you should include a blocking cap. Might as well use a small wire wound inductor.

So a simple thing is to get two square flange sockets and mount them back to back with some bolts so there is a small gap of 3-4mm. In that gap fit a 100pF ceramic capacitor. Wind a small inductor from thin enameled wire (or even just tinned wire) and take that to a 1nF capacitor to ground. Thats the feed. Get it the right way round.

You could also do it properly but with so much gain in the LNB its not necessary.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails