Sunday, October 21, 2012

A different day to yesterday on 28MHz WSPR

Although the map looks quite similar to yesterday, in fact, it felt quite different. There was no sign of VK/ZL this morning for me, the band opened with Eastern Europe and Russia, although a VK5 was received here around midday - I was not heard there.

Also, many periods went by without my signals being spotted - very different to yesterday. I did wonder if the aerial had a problem, but I am certain it was just slightly poorer conditions. The afternoon did improve slightly with a few reports from the USA, with KE7A being the furthest west.

I've noticed this with low power WSPR before - you are very much at the mercy of conditions - where as with higher power you'd ride out the peaks and troughs.

3 comments:

VE3WDM said...

I was on 10m CW this weekend and I found similar to your WSPR findings and that is some of the time the band was just static. Then stations from Europe were booming in....then fade to the noise level. But I was able to make some good QRP and QRPp contacts none the less.
Mike

Tim said...

Thanks Mike - useful to know! I was a bit dispirited at first as so many people were doing really well! Just a conditions thing, I am sure.

Tim

VE3WDM said...

Good morning Tim, as for me I just have to keep telling me that it's all about having fun and if the contact is not made or if the air waves are dry....it's my hobby and it's time spent relaxing and winding down.
Mike

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails