Saturday, July 21, 2012
How the £13 SDR project became the £26 SDR project
I mentioned that I had a suspicion that I'd blown the first SDR dongle up as it wasn't hearing much. I ordered another one last weekend and it arrived in mid week. Certainly the new one is behaving much better! No handhelds or across the shack transmissions have been made with the SDR on - just in case! I have connected the dongle up to the 50/144/432MHz collinear using the adapter I built last weekend and it seems to be working fine. I've heard GB3WH and plenty of stuff on airband including aircraft, ground and ACARS. On airband - the panadapter approach was excellent for determining the frequencies to listen to. The most fun I ever had with a scanner was with my old Yaesu FRG9600 with Ray Withers HF mods when I lived back in Cheltenham. Heard loads on that thing. I think the SDR dongle is easily the most cost effective scanner I have ever had. Wondering if I can use the dongle to decode ADS-B on 1090MHz. I can see some software to do it running under Linux. But I really don't want to go there! I have to play enough computers at work - at home I want computing to be as simple as possible! Yes, I could make Linux work, but....
Posted by Tim at 8:53 PM