Sunday, December 27, 2009

Finally! WSPRing at G4VXE



It's been on my mind for a little while that I'd like to try out the WSPR software here. For one reason or another, I haven't got around to it, but today, I decided to give it a go.

I downloaded the WSJT 2.0 software and spent a little time getting it interfaced to the FT1000MP. Receive worked pretty much straightaway, but for some reason it took me a while to get the transmit side sorted - the interface I was using didn't seem to behave quite as I thought it might! I managed to use a slightly different method which worked.

My first transmit period on 10MHz, just as the band seemed to close was heard by NB3N. I then moved over onto 7MHz at 7040khz. I set the program to transmit 9% of possible transmit periods and waited for the first transmit slot on 7MHz.

The nice thing about WSPR is that as soon as the transmit period ends, you can head over to WSPRNET.ORG and see who heard you! To my enormous surprise, a number of stations heard my first transmission including VK7FGMH in Tasmania at a distance of 17,482kms. Not bad for 1 watt output!

I've left the system on for most of the evening and was pleased to see my signals reported in Tasmania for around an hour or so. Other reports came in from the Azores, Europe and the East Coast of the USA.

The only downside to all of this is that even on low power, the transmissions seem to interfere with the rain gauge for the weather station!

I shall WSPR again!

1 comment:

SV1GRN said...

Very interesting enjoy wspr Tim.
73 de SV1GRN

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails