Wednesday, February 11, 2009

George Beasley, G3LNS/5B4AGC


I was greatly saddened to hear of the death earlier today of my pal, George Beasley, G3LNS. If you're relatively new to DXing or contesting, you might not know that callsign, but perhaps you might have worked George as 5B4AGC or H2G (his contest call) from Cyprus.

I hadn't known George as long as some, but we first crossed paths at the GW8GT contest station in the mid to late 1980s. I immediately liked George with his blend of humour, affability and tremendous enthusiasm for amateur radio. We had lots of laughs.

Though I didn't experience it myself, Paul, G4BKI tells a lovely story of doing NFD with George. On the Saturday night, they wanted fish and chips, so George drove them down to the chip shop in his car, which was a Bentley! Paul felt a little uncomfortable about eating Fish and Chips in a Bentley, but George wasn't worried in the slightest!

George and his wife, Barbara moved to Cyprus and set up home there. George set about building a super station from there and he was ubiquitous on all the bands from there. I think I'd worked George on all bands between 80m and 6m over the years, including some wonderful QSOs when I was running flea-power to small aerials from different locations. George was super active and really helped a lot of people get Cyprus in the log.

George and Barbara joined the Five Star DX Association trip to the Comoros, D68C in 2001. As ever they were great company and George got stuck into the pileups. I remember lots of great conversations over food and drink when we weren't operating.

More recently, our paths hadn't crossed so often, but we always had a few words even when we worked in a contest.

I was just looking at George's page on QRZ.COM - I can't quite believe he's not active anymore.

Rest in peace, friend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was just lovely to read your story & memories of my Dad, thank you so much. It's still such a shock & void in our lives. Juliet Beasley xx

Tim said...

Juliet,

It's so good to hear from you! I can imagine how much you miss your Dad. It was such a pleasure to have known him.

Please pass on my love to your Mum...

Tim

Dean said...

I worked George as H2G back in 2000 and was just going through an old logbook and happened to Google the call, Sad loss to the Ham bands.
Dean M0DAG/M5AEM

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails