Saturday, December 06, 2008

What a difference one person can make...

I want to take a moment to tell you about Mike, G0UWU. For the last four years, since I've had the VHF radio in the car to operate on my commute, Mike's been a 'regular fixture' on the 7am shift on GB3WH and I've enjoyed hundreds of QSOs with him whilst he's been driving from home in Gloucester to work at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire.

Well, a week ago yesterday, Mike retired. So he doesn't have to do that long commute anymore. I'm sure he's pleased about that - and I wish him every happiness for his retirement. But it's not the same in the morning without Mike to chat to!

But the point of this post, apart from wishing Mike well - is to highlight the difference that one person's activity on the bands can make.

Be that difference!

1 comment:

2E0HTS Simon said...

Hi there Tim,

enjoyed this post (saw it on planet ham) makes you think about what your saying. I often think back to who I used to to make regular QSO with and wonder how they are getting on. I guess us working guys will have to keep the work journeys alive on the bands and hope that the hobby continues to attract mobile Ham Ops!

I work 20M mobile most mornings and hear the same stations on world wide year in and year out.

best 73 de Simon 2E0HTS/M

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails