Monday, April 21, 2008

9K2/G4WUH worked this evening


It's no good, I'm going to say it, I like Echolink!


I know it's not Amateur Radio as we know it, but perhaps linking repeaters via telephone lines wasn't amateur radio either. I was always intrigued when I lived in Canada about how a repeater in Toronto could be linked to a repeater in Vancouver and QSOs made across a continent using hand-held VHF/UHF equipment.


Had a nice surprise this evening, as I was driving up the A34. I heard Ian, G4WUH operating as 9K2/G4WUG from Kuwait. Ian had connected to GB3TD the Swindon 433MHz repeater through Echolink. It was fun to have a quick chat with Ian and hear about his day. Tomorrow he's off to Cairo, so perhaps we'll hear SU/G4WUH on GB3TD tomorrow evening.


As I've said before, if Echolink QSOs intrigue people with working DX in other ways, then as far as I'm concerned, it's a great thing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails