Sunday, December 24, 2006

A wintertime lift

You can't help but noticing that there's been a lot of fog around for the last few days. Flights in and out of Heathrow were disrupted. Well, when there's fog, there's usually some interesting VHF conditions - particularly when it's a widespread area.

It started off quite gently on the 21st December, when the GB3VHF beacon in Kent was several S-points louder than normal, but nothing much else seemed to have changed. I had a nice QSO with 2E0DBE in Eastbourne on 2m, he was using an FT817 to an indoor halo and had a decent signal up here.

The next day, 22nd December was a real surprise. I had a pig of a QSO with DK1FG in JN59. For whatever reason he struggled to get my callsign. But it was a decent distance and he was running 750w to a big antenna, compared to my 50w to a 5ele - so I was probably on the limit of intelligibility (nothing new there!). Also heard around the same time was DK4AL in JO51.

On the 23rd, there was less at a long distance, but still some nice QSOs to be had. On 2m, I worked ON7LAO (JO20), F2YT (JO10), DF7DJ (JO31) and F6FLB (JO00). On 70cms, I was pleased to have DK6JL (JO31) come back to a CW CQ on 432.2.

A couple more 432MHz QSOs today; DB5KN (JO31) and F5APQ (JO00) but conditions seem to be getting back to normal based on the strength of GB3VHF.

Good fun! Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Steph_75012 said...

Hello Tim,
I discovered your blog this morning and read with interest a part of it.
Fully G4VXE, I mean well writing, clear, precise, interesting. First Class... Hope all your family in good shape and see you on air always with pleasure.
161,
Steph, F5NZY

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails